Sunday, February 21, 2010

Yogurt, Honey, and Whole Wheat Brownies + A Tall Glass of Raw Milk: My nourishing twist on a comfort food classic...

As a ten year old, I attained a childhood savings goal of $100 by selling brownies to family and friends at $.50/ea. or $2.50/dozen. I gave the Girl Scouts a run for their money by spending several sessions beating I-don't-know-how-many-eggs into an equally stunning number of boxed mixes (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker...whatever was on sale). I learned fine entrepreneurial skills, paying my mom for electricity and ingredients and handing over perfectly presented plates of brownies to eager (I hope?) customers. Sixteen years later, I still find myself craving the thrill of successful business and a rewarding, decadent indulgence at the end.

However, I'm more convicted to take stock of where my ingredients are coming from and how they are nourishing my family and friends' bodies.

Knowing what I've learned in the past few years about the typical contents of boxed mixes (and grocery store gallon jugs), I've been more willing to make better efforts, balancing idealism and practicality. And still enjoy the good life, of course!

I've tried Dr. Oetker's Organic Chocolate Brownies boxed mix a time or two (with farm fresh eggs~)...though I'll admit, there's still something missing compared to those perfectly engineered grocery shelf marvels of modern "food" science.

But recently, I managed to pull of a fabulous (well, for me) Suzy Homemaker stunt. Zucchini from last summer's bounty came out of the freezer and met with my cocoa stash. The original recipe may be found here. I substituted honey for the white sugar, used the called for yogurt and whole wheat flour, and pulled Ted's grandpa's home shelled walnuts out for a sprinkling on top.





~Chocolate Zucchini Brownies~

2 cups shredded zucchini (thawed and drained)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 large egg
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Ted and Josie

If you are interested in meeting Charlotte and hearing more from her, she will be teaching the DIY Cheesemakers Class at Foster & Dobbs (in NE Portland) on March 18th from 6:30-8pm.

If you're interested in joining me for brownies and a cup of milk...well, between a plate for Charlotte, dessert with friends, and a few afternoon snacks, we've nearly polished them off. But check in again next week...I just may be whipping up another batch!

~Bethany

1 comment:

Emily said...

I can happily testify to both the brownies and the milk...THEY WERE SO DELICIOUS!! I've had raw milk from about five different sources and Charlotte's milk is by far the best! Rich, creamy, and no hint of grassy after-taste. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...